This is the month where I confess that I’m not always impressed with Birchbox. Sometimes the samples they send aren’t so impressive, they’re superbly small (the ONE sample I was excited about I lost because it was so damned small), and I look at it thinking, “I PAID 10 DOLLAHS FOR DIS?” It is, by far, an imperfect system– though I do appreciate that it has a system where we can leave feedback on the products.
My February 2012 Birchbox contained:
- Eye Rock Designer Liner eyeliner strips: This was a full-sized pack, which is likely where the “value” from the box came from. If you’re a novice (or totally incompetent) at applying a liquid line, this could be great for you. I found it was just as easy to create the eyeliner styles with real eyeliner, and then it didn’t stick to my eye in weird ways. Another girlfriend received it, and since she has slight irregularities to her eyes (they aren’t even visible!) found that the product looked dramatically different on each eye. Overall: PASS ON IT.
- Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint: This sample is smaller than my pinky finger. I wonder how the hell I can gauge how well I like this product when there isn’t enough to go more than a couple of days. Compared to make-up tints I’ve used in the past, and loved, this one didn’t impress me. I felt like it didn’t do much to even out my skin tone, but instead just left my skin “dewy”– AKA shiny.
- BLK DNM 11 Perfume**: With notes of incense, musk, black pepper and cedarwood, it’s surprisingly androgynous and delicious. On me, the black pepper and cedarwood were the prominent notes, and it was homey, but unusual. It didn’t make the Beau break out in to sneezing, and while we both liked the scent (it’s lovely!), agreed it just not my personality.
- BENTA BERRY G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream**: This is the sample I was most excited for, to find it was also smaller than my little finger–so small that I headed towards the bathroom to use it, got distracted, and lost the damned thing. SERIOUSLY? Is that really fair? It’s a matte moisturizer from France (ooh la la!) with ingredients like blueberry, dead-nettle, jasmine, burdock, and mandarin. I may just order this and try it out, because it seems lovely.
- Supersmile Powdered Mouthrinse: This is a single use packet willed with saccharine powder. You add water, kind of mix it, and swish in your mouth. Then you do it a second time, because a lot of the powder is still in the corners of the packet. In a pinch, or when traveling (Survivor, anyone?), I could see how these could be useful. But for every scenario in my own life, it’s just easier to stash a bottle of mouthwash or pack of gum around.
**Quick reference to the products I liked.
All right Birchbox fans– how’d you score this month? Or have you tried any of the products above (and love or hate them)?